Skip to Main Content

Copyright: Faculty Resources

Copyright at UNBC

UNBC expects faculty to adhere to Copyright Guidelines when using material in the classroom. Copyright analysis can be summarized as: 

  • Is the material licensed for use by the University? If yes, you are encouraged to use it. 
  • Is the material free of copyright restrictions (creative commons license, open access, public domain, etc.)? If yes, you can use it. 
  • Does the material fall under Fair Dealing? If yes, you may use it. (See Fair Dealing Guidelines)
  • If the item doesn't fall in these three categories, please contact the Copyright Office to procure permissions. They will: 
    • Request a licensed copy to be purchased by the library
    • Purchase or request one-time permissions for use
    • Deny use of material if unable to acquire permissions or unable to purchase permanent copy in required timeframe
  • If the material is denied
    • Decrease the amount so it falls under fair dealing
    • Look for alternatives from licensed or open access resources to use instead

*Please note, permission requests are often quick, but can take 2-6 weeks or longer to receive a response from a rights holder.
*If you use the Syllabus service, these steps will be carried out by the Copyright Officer. 

Films in the Classroom

Under the Canadian Copyright Act (Section 29.5), a film may be shown in the classroom as long as: 

  • It is for educational purposes/training
  • It is shown on University premises
  • It is for university students, staff or faculty
  • It is a legally obtained copy

YouTube videos or similar may also be shown in class unless: 

  • The work is protected by digital locks preventing its performance.
  • A clearly visible notice prohibiting educational use is posted on the website or on the work itself.
  • You have reason to believe that the work available is in violation of the copyright owner's rights.

Films for Entertainment

Films for entertainment purposes are not covered under Fair Dealing.

The Library has subscribed to “Entertainment Use Rights” licenses with Audio Cine and Criterion, allowing broader viewing than just classroom use.

You may watch videos for non-educational purposes if: 

  • The film is covered by the Audio Cine or Criterion licenses. Use the search bars on the websites to see if your desired film is included.
  • The film is free. Charity uses are allowed, but only if cost is purely by donation. 
  • The primary audience is UNBC students, staff or faculty
  • Any advertising targets the university (Campus media, not off-campus)

These licenses cover all indoor and outdoor campus screenings for Criterion. For the Audio Cine collection, if you wish to show an outdoor screening, please contact the Library Copyright office. Not all film studios in that collection allow for outdoor screenings. 

Anything else is not covered and separate entertainment rights will need to be purchased or acquired. Please contact Library Copyright to arrange this. 


Syllabus Service

If you are planning to use, post, or distribute copyright-protected works, the Copyright Office can help you stay compliant with Canadian Copyright law. 
The Copyright Office will: 

  • Review copyright of works you distribute to your students in class and on Moodle
  • Create permanent links to eResources UNBC has purchased/subscribed to
  • Pursue any required licences for use of copyright protected works 

Additionally, the Copyright Office can: 

  • Create PDF copies and scans for posting to Moodle
  • Pursue licensing for digitization/streaming of video content

To use this service, please send your syllabus to Library Copyright.

Syllabi are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis, so please submit early. While most licenses can be secured quickly, some publishers need six weeks or more to respond to requests. Licenses grated for a fee in previous semesters will need to be renewed for further use, as publishers grant licenses on a semester by semester basis. 

All UNBC instructors are encouraged to use this service to ensure compliance before sharing materials in class or on Moodle. 


Creating Permanent Links

Persistent or permanent links (such as PURLs or DOIs) provide permanent access to a resource. To access library subscription databases from off-campus, a proxy for UNBC on the URL is required to authenticate. Some databases provide this automatically, but for others, the proxy needs to be added manually. Open Access resources do not need the proxy. 

To make a persistent link, add this link to the front of your permanent link: 

The stable link can be found on the left side of the article.

Taylor & Francis or
You can use the doi under the title or the main URL on an article page. Add the UNBC proxy. 

You can use the doi under the title or the main URL on an article page. Add the UNBC proxy. 

When viewing an article, book, or chapter, click the permalink button. The proxy is already included. 

When in an eBook, click on the 'Share Link to Book' button. The proxy is already included.
When in a thesis or article, click "Cite" on the right-hand side. The proxy is included in the cited URL. 

UNBC Library Catalogue
Every eResource or catalogue record will have a Permanent Link button. Click that and copy the URL. No proxy is needed.

Copyright Documents

Copyright Queries

Legal Disclaimer

The UNBC Copyright Office makes every effort to provide accurate copyright information for educational purposes. This information is not to be construed as legal advice and should not be relied upon in that regard.