Skip to Main Content

Copyright: Student Resources

Copyright Queries

The Copyright Office is here to help you navigate your copyright queries. If you need help acquiring any licenses or have any questions about copyright, please contact the Copyright Office or schedule an appointment with the Copyright Officer. 

Films for Entertainment

Films for entertainment purposes are not covered under Fair Dealing.

The Library has subscribed to “Entertainment Use Rights” licenses with Audio Cine and Criterion, allowing broader viewing than just classroom use.

You may watch videos for non-educational purposes if: 

  • The film is covered by the Audio Cine or Criterion licenses. Use the search bars on the websites to see if your desired film is included.
  • The film is free. Charity uses are allowed, but only if cost is purely by donation. 
  • The primary audience is UNBC students, staff or faculty
  • Any advertising targets the university (Campus media, not off-campus)

The Criterion license covers indoor and outdoor campus screenings. For the Audio Cine collection, if you wish to show an outdoor screening, please contact the Library Copyright office. Not all film studios in that collection allow for outdoor screenings. 

Anything else is not covered and separate entertainment rights will need to be purchased or acquired. Please contact Library Copyright to arrange this. 

Thesis Information

The office of Graduate Studies oversees Theses, Dissertations and Defendable Projects. Information is available on their website.
Some tools to help you write your thesis are available through the Academic Success Centre

Copyright Information for your Thesis, Dissertation or Project

  • You own the copyright to your Thesis.
  • The graduate office will submit your Thesis to the UNBC Institutional Repository on your behalf.
  • You should seek permission for each if your thesis contains (*Note: this list is not exhaustive):
    • Images that have been obtained from copyrighted sources (tables, figures, maps, graphs, photos, screenshots, drawings, logos, video screen captures, etc.) 
    • Long quotations or excerpts from any one source. 
    • Articles or parts of articles that you wrote and previously published if you no longer retain copyright.
    • Material co-authored with others, as each co-author shares in the copyright and must consent for you to publish your shared work.
    • Scripts and recordings of any performance
    • Translations of copyrighted works
    • Testing instruments such as standardized tests, questionnaires, forms, and surveys. 
  • You should keep copies of any emails or websites that give you permission. Keep a copy of the webpage, as links may break or disappear. The best possible proof of permission is a completed Permission to Use Copyrighted Material form. Originals are always best. 

How to obtain permission

  1. Identify the copyright owner (usually the publisher or author)
  2. Contact the individual and ask for permission. You can use the Copyright Request form below.
  3. For commercial owners, check the Copyright Clearance Center (CCC). 
    • Select “Pay-Per-Use Options”, “Republish or display content”, “Thesis/Dissertation”.  After completing the form identifying the content you wish to use, you’ll create a CCC account and will be provided with a confirmation/license.  Typically the cost will be reflected as $0.00 for this type of permission.
  4. If you cannot obtain permission through the CCC, contact the publisher directly. Look for links that say "Rights and Permissions" or something similar and read through the website to determine the correct method for requesting permission. 
  5. For journals, check if the journal has advance permission for specific uses.  For example, The Journal of Biological Chemistry provides advance permission for non-commercial use. If not, check the journals website for details on how to request permission or go through the CCC as described above. 


Copyright Queries

Legal Disclaimer

The UNBC Copyright Office makes every effort to provide accurate copyright information for educational purposes. This information is not to be construed as legal advice and should not be relied upon in that regard.